Historic District Commission
3 South Main Street, P.O. Box 486, Petersham, Massachusetts 01366
Contact Name: Bob Clark (Chair)
Contact Phone: 978-724-3564
Contact E-mail: RAclarkpetersham@msn.com
Bob Clark (Chair)
Marcia Lynn Shaw
Petersham takes pride in its history and through the diligent hard work of town residents and the commitment of the voters; the Petersham Historic District was established in 1967. It was only the eighth town in the entire commonwealth to establish a Historic District
The Petersham Historic District Commission is comprised of seven members and functions per Article XII of the town bylaws. As described in the bylaws, the purpose of the Commission is:
“… to promote the educational, cultural, economic, and general welfare of the public through the preservation and protection of buildings, places and districts of historic and architectural significance in the Town of Petersham, through the maintenance of appropriate settings for such buildings, places and districts as a tangible reminder of the historic tradition of the Town of Petersham.”
The District contains more than forty structures from the mid-1700s to the mid-1900s and is home to fine examples of a wide range of architectural styles including Colonial, Greek Revival, Federal, Shingle-style and Contemporary. The District runs the length of South and North Main street from Barre road/Rte. 122 at the southern point to St. Peter’s Church at the tip of North Street and North Main street.
Members of the commission are also members of the town-wide Petersham Historic Commission and have input on a variety of historic projects throughout the town including the towns circa 1840’s one-room schoolhouses.
The Commission meets monthly at the Petersham memorial Library. Meeting and Public Hearing dates and agendas are posted at the Town Office Building and Post Office.
For more information, please contact the Petersham Historic District Commission and review Article XII of the Town By-laws.